Ancestors of James Harvey (1855 - 1933)
Although both his maternal grandparents were named Smellie, they do not appear to be related.
Jam Harvey's great grandfather William Smellie was the son of architect and master builder Alexander Smellie. William was a Scottish printer who edited the first edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica. He was also a naturalist and antiquary, who was joint founder of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and co-founder of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Volume 1 of the book Memoirs of the life, writings, & correspondence of William Smellie , F. R. S. & f. A. S. Late printer in Edinburgh , Secretary and Superintendant of Natural History to the Society of Scottish Antiquaries may be downloaded here.
The records show James Harvie was born 1 June 1790 in “Bomanhirst”, parish of Carluke to John Harvie and Janet Gibbs, who were married on the 2nd December, 1769. The 1695 Poll tax return for Carluke, displayed on the excellent Carluke Parish Historical Society (CPHS) web page, lists a Bomanhirst. The CPHS advise that the spelling is Bomanhirst, and ordinance maps spell it that way. The properties of Brownlee and Bomanhirst were acquired in 1750 by William Harvie, who passed the properties onto a James Harvie who was born in 1784 in Innerwick, East Lothian, the son of the Rev John Harvie and Rebecca Sandilands. James died in 1847 (in the 1841 Census it appears he is a bachelor) and the property was passed onto his brother Rev William Harvie, born in 1800. William also seems to have been a bachelor. In 1841 he was in Edinburgh with his spinster sisters Marion and Margaret. The sisters did not leave the big city when William inherited Brownlee – in the 1851 and 1871 censuses he is by himself with servants and his occupation in “landed proprietor.”
Bowmanhirst is a property in the parish of Carluke, associated with Brownlee House , which in 1750 had become the home of William Harvie. In 2004 it was still occupied by Harvies. The relationship between this Harvie family and John Harvie and his descendants is unclear, though it is probable there was a family relationship as properties Bowenhirst, and Topenhill. (E5 on the map) appear in public records and other documents related to Brownlee Estate when tracing John Harvie and Janet Gibb’s family. Janet’s birth in 1746 is recorded as “Tapenhill”, so possibly John Harvie married the daughter of a tenant farmer of Brownlee Estate.
The Gibbs were at Topenhall for at least 40 years (given Janet was born there as well as her daughter Mary in 1786). John’s family is not specifically referred to in Dr Rankin’s History of the Carluke parish, which reports the properties associated with William Harvie’s family. John and Janet’s son William (James Harvey’s uncle) was born in 1778 at Topenhall, as was their daughter Mary (1781). Given the fact that the Harvie family of Brownlee were land owners with some family members being clergy of the Church of Scotland, it is probable that John Harvie was a second son of a second son of gentry. Linking John’s family to the landed gentry Harvie’s using birth records is not possible without local research. Inheritance law and social practice meant that the first son in a family inherited all. .
The Old Parish Records show Jean Tudhope was born in 14th July 1788 at a property called ‘Hutcheland’ in Lesmahagow parish), County Lanark to James Tutop and ‘Janet’ Thomson. Her dead certificate shows her mother’s name as Mary. Thomson, as does the wedding record of James Tutop and Mary Thomson in 1769. Mary Thomson was born at Tanhill and tracing her family it appears she is the great great granddaughter of the martyr James Thomson, who died in the Convenanteers trouble in Southern Scotland in the period 1660 to 1689, when the monarchy was restored (The Restoration) after the Parliamentary Government lead by Oliver Cromwell was overthrown, at the battle of Drumclog (1 June 1679).
James Tutop’s headstone shows he died in 1812, aged 74 and he was “of Hutchland”, a property south east of Lesmahagow. His wife Mary died in 1800. Antecedents of Jean’s Tutop family had been based in the Parish of Lesmahagow as far back as 1600. The family of Jean’s mother Mary Thomson farmed a property called Tanhill (I1 on the map) for over 350 years, up until 1779, in the Parish on the border with the Parish of Stonehouse. The family arrived at the property in 1630, from Perth, where John and James Thomsons alternate through the centuries back to the 13th century.
James Tutop and Mary had 1 boy and 2 daughters, including Jean. Their son George was a spirit dealer in Lesmahagow in the 1841 census. He died in July 1849 and his will records him as “of Hutchiland, vintner in Abbeygreen of Lesmahagow, spouse of Marion Donald.” The fact George was a businessman, and the property past from father to son indicates the family where ‘well- to do’ for the time. Together with her husband James’ family history, it probable the James and Jean Harvie were rural middle class from early on in their marriage. They were not agricultural labourers (as recorded in the 1841 census) in the usual sense.
In the 1841 census, Jean and James Harvey senior lived on a property called Foulskyes, in the parish of Camnethan (also spelt Cambusnethan). James’ occupation was recorded as an agricultural labourer – the same work his sons were doing. They had 4 children living with them– John (1819), Mary (1821), James and Jane (1829), all born at Meadowbank. A daughter Janet, born at Meadowhead in February 1824 was not living with the family in 1841. An eighth child Isabella was born in April 1834 at Meadowbank but she must have died as a young child, as she was not listed in the 1841 census. The two oldest children – Janet born in 1815 and Mary born in 1813 in “Wishawtown”, in the parish of Cambusnethan, must have died as children, as the names were used again by James and Jean to name children born later. His 1860 will records that he leased West Crindledyke Farm in 1848 from a Robert Sinclair Lockhart, 16th Baron of Castlehill and Cambusnethan. In 1851, James and Jean Tudhope are recorded as tenants farming a 90 acres property called Townheads in the parish of Cambusnethan and James junior was working as an agricultural labourer for his father.
West Crindledyke Farm and Townhead presumably are the same property. Foulsdyke was not same property but certainly it was in the neighbourhood and was not a labourers’ croft as it is recorded on Thomson’s 1832 map. In 1841 and 1851 census the neighbouring properties appear in the same order. William Wilson, wife Janet Harvie and their children were also living on the property, with the census reporting them as living at Townhead. Daughters Mary and Jane were unmarried and living at home. West Crindledyke farm was probably the property Crindledyke Head on Thomson’s 1832 map. Later Ordnance maps (1858, 1885 and 1895) all show a farm called Crindledyke.
James Harvie died 25th October 1860 on West Crindledyke Farm and is buried in Cambusnethan Old Churchyard. He died of “dropsy arising from chronic bronchitis.” In his will, he left the rights to the lease to his son in law William with the dairy cattle and farming utensils on the property. William had a personal bond with James for 350 pounds, indicating he was operating the farm before James’ death. James’ total estate was worth 582 pounds /6 shillings and /11 pence (several million Australian dollars today). He left Jean an annuity of 10 pounds per year. Jean’s death of “age” on the 26th February 1865 is saddened by the description of her as “Pauper Lunatic.” In the 1861 census, she was living with Mary in West Crindledyke Cottage, and, given her location at her death is unchanged it’s probable that she was living with family suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
Daughter Jane Hervie married a James Henderson before 1855 but died in January 1856 of ‘increased action and ulceration of the bowels’’. James Henderson was a witness to James Harvey’s marriage to Jane Brownlee in 1859.
The oldest son John, in the 1851 census, was married to Frances (born in Maxton, Roxenburghshire in 1824), living in Beltonfoot, Wishaw, with two daughters, Jane (born 1843) and Francis (born 1850). John’s occupation was a “carrier between Glasgow & Wishaw.” John died in the 1850 decade. His father’s will records his death and confirmed his occupation at his death as carter. As there is no record of John’s death it was presumably between 1853 and 1855, before government recording started. In the 1861 census, Frances (recorded as Fanny) is the head of the family and a son, James, born in 1853, is living with his sister Fanny and mother. Interestingly Fanny had another daughter in the 1881 Census, Maggy born in 1865 in Wishaw. The older Fanny was a seamstress in this census and Maggy and her sister Fanny were domestic servants.
Mary was living with her mother Jean Tudhope in the 1861 census but her surname showed that she had been married. She was a widow in 1861 with a son John Longmore, born in 1854. Her son was named after his father John Longmore (or Longmuir). No other records of Mary have been found. In the 1871 census son John was a carter living with his uncle in Carluke. He later married (Violet) and had a family that is traceable in Scottish census records.
Janet married William Wilson (born 1813) in 1842 and he is recorded as the informant of the deaths of James and Jean Hervie. William and her husband farmed the inherited West Crindledyke Farm for many years as recorded in Census records (1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891) and had a large family. She died of hemiplegia in 1896. Her son John, who was informant on her death certificate, lived on Crindledyke Farm, Newmains.
Two of William and Janet’s daughters also migrated to Australia. Their youngest Isabella (born 1865), just married to Adam Calderwood, and Mary (born 1857) and married to William Paton with two daughters, left Scotland in 1886. Descendants live in Melbourne.